Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Amish Country




The weather and DH sleeping too late made me decide to change our route for today. The plans of a full time RVer are usually written in jello so they can change at will! We started the day at the Country Garden cafe in the town of Oelwein, with brunch! Since it was raining, we headed to Waterloo to look for an ATM and on the way there and back drove out in the country through an Amish Colony. It just amazes me that these people still heat with all wood, and for the most part do not use any modern conveniences. There were fields of hand shocked oats, horses and buggies everywhere. Wagons pulled by horses and lots of corn fields already tassled. Amid all the farmsteads with buggies, standing along side these primitive places, were these huge, new houses! Now I think we have this figured out. The Amish rent out the ground to those with tractors and combines and the corn farmers have these big modern houses, while the Amish tend to their gardens, small shops and families. There were lots of small country schools, which were in recess also. Many children, barefoot in the yards, working or riding ponies and playing together. This sign and another one that had speed limit 55 and a picture of a buggy, struck me funny! What are they feedin them horses? Space Oats! I didn't see any goin' 55 though! In Waterloo we had the good fortune to spend our "Coffee Break" in a local Dairy Store...sampled the Moo-Roo ice cream, it was created on a nearby farm, and bought some home churned butter and Blue Cheese for dressing (I make my own!) I really like access to all these small mom & pop stores. Wal Mart is good for a lot of things...but is all mass produced and they don't take advantage of buying local. We stopped at an RV place not far from here, and I found a shower head that I have been looking for. No Camping Worlds close to here. Tonight I went to this park's book exchange and took some time seeing what all they had. I finished "The Street Lawyer" and traded it for another John Grisham book. I have a couple of craft projects that I want to start, but just don't have enough hours in the day! Our weather is really staying quite cool. The youngest son is camping in Louisville, south of Omaha in a cabin and I guess it's really hot and humid. Today it struggled to get up to 80. I'm all for getting away from that, but so far we are lucking out. It is thundering now, I just hope I didn't brag too soon! Our trip north happens tomorrow if I can get up and get an earlier start!

No comments:

Post a Comment