Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Will it Ever Quit Storming?

Woke up to Thunder and Lightening at 6 a.m. We weren't in any real hurry today since we only had 150 miles or so to drive. They said on the radio that the storms were pretty stationary, but the computer said they would be over by 10 a.m. so I took my time getting around. By a little past 9:30 it really got with the program and started raining pretty hard. We sat and watched some of the low spots start filling with water and decided it was time to get out before we might not! DH didn't make me go out, he did all the hook up solo (he had a rain coat!) I got to do the light checks from in here. We got out and went the 1/4 mile on the gravel road in front of the Western Star RV Ranch with no problem, but I still breathed a sigh of relief when we got on pavement. We made just a couple stops as we made our way up Hwy 83 towards the town of Oakley KS. The new shocks make a very noticeable difference in the ride. Now we have all new tires and all new shocks....we're ready to roll for the summer. The dark and forboding clouds stayed at bay pretty much the whole way until we got right outside the park and we had to use wipers once or twice. We got a very large nice site on the top end of the High Plains RV Park, just off of Exit 70 on I 70. This is a very nice and relaxing place. That's my opinion now. I will look for a storm shelter in a bit! We got a drenching rain and thunder booms just after we got parked and the electricity hooked up. Another large Country Coach came in after we did. I have had a nice visit with the gentleman. They are from Florida and headed west and north to Alaska. I very briefly met one of the ladies working here at the park when we stayed at Hunter Cove at the Harlan County Reservoir. We both write a blog of our travels and she is working here part time this season. We are going out for supper with her tonight. With any luck the storms will subside for the night....could I be that lucky? At least we're safely off the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment