Saturday, August 8, 2009

Burlington Iowa


Change is often a good thing! DH decided we could do some soft touring today and we rode 25 miles over to Burlington Iowa, on the Mississippi River. Notice we have traveled yet one more major river to the east! They have a very old street, named "Snake Alley" dubbed by Ripley's Believe it or Not to be the crookedest street in the world.
Now I have been to San Francisco and traveled down "Lombard Street" which is also aptly named. I guess these two places share the title! Now I can say I've seen them both. The neighborhood in which Snake Alley lies, is basically in a small valley in the middle of the town.
Much Old untouched Archetecture and lots of churches. This house is cobblestone. Some of the alleys right by there are original Cobblestone. Some are patterned red and colored brick. I can't imagine traveling up and down that small passageway every day for whatever reason, they would have had to tote things to get to the river or back. It was very very narrow and steep! The museum located right by the alley wasn't open, and I didn't think DH needed to walk much more than he did anyway. We were fortunate to be able to park directly across from thee.

We continued on down by the river and watched some boats being launched and trailered. Not much else to visit there, and I didn't want to bring on a relapse. A small amount of walking about is good. I went down Snake alley and back up. With this humidity today, I was about dripping when I got back to the top! On the way back we enjoyed the countryside. Not much different scenery. Lots of Corn around here. We also drove around here in Mount Pleasant so we could see a little bit of what this berg has to offer. Some decent shopping. Nice new Wally World and good sized Orscheln's. Don't see a whole lot more. They have a Juvenile Detention Center right west of here...complete with razor wire and a Juvenile Court building downtown. Must take care of a large part, or the whole state. Can't imagine this area to be a high crime spot, it's complete with a Wesleyan Bible College. I'm making another trip down the street to the HyVee Grocery, I think there's some ice cream in our future for tonight. Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment