Friday, June 5, 2009

Close to Heaven

This past few days here at Hunter Cove - Harlan County Reservoir has been pretty close to an ideal summer stop. We have spent a lot of time sitting by the lake, fishing and walking around the area. Outside of a downpour on Wednesday morning, the weather has been wonderful. Light breeze and mild temps. Not too much humidity and not many bugs. I have been planning our next leg of the adventure. We are going over into Iowa and circle the state. Some of the best discoveries can be found if one gets off the Interstate and slows down a bit. Last night we watched several rigs pull in for the weekend. We have neighbors in the spot next to us. These weekend warriors are experiencing the camping mode of life. It brings back memories of this place, when our children were small. We had a 1973 16 ft. Shasta pull type camper that we pulled with a big old Mercury. We spent almost every weekend and summer holidays here for years. When we got down here and set up, we'd put life jackets on the boys, unload the bicycles and they had a ball. When they got big enough to outgrow sleepin in the booth, we'd pitch a tent and they'd sleep in there. I've been here in March when there was ice on the lake and we ran the furnace to keep warm. We have caught a lot of fish off these banks. In those days we didn't have air conditioning. I could get by without electricity if I had too! This campground was first come first serve. Now you have to reserve sites online at least 4 days in advance and I'm not too thrilled with that rule. That's why one of my sayings when someone tells me to "Have Fun with your Camper!" is, "I've been camping and this isn't it!" The lake level is up and we can walk to the spot where we've been fishing. I will get back out there pretty soon, as I haven't caught anything yet. DH caught one of the biggest blue gill I've ever seen yesterday and one keeper walleye. Not enough for a meal yet, hope we will have fish for supper tonight. It has been so peaceful and quiet here this week, I hate to see that end, but we have another week or so here and Sunday afternoon it will get quiet once more! Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment