Monday, February 22, 2010

No Winners



The beginning of Finals Day was pretty cool, a parachutist dropped in with the flag.
We finally gave up and as we were walking out they called the races off last night about 7 p.m.with yet another weather delay. Started the day early with a Nitro Fuel
fix along with our Coffee. Your first clue to back up should be when they don the gas masks, or at least any normal person should back up. I stand there til my eyes burn and tears run down my face. The force of the power when they fire them up is like nothing else I've ever felt! It just about blows ya backward and shakes ya to the core. There were no winners and a very sad event left me walking out kinda numb. It could have been the long day, the rain delays
the clean ups and the accident that tragically took the life of one woman spectator in the afternoon. I was sooo ready to go home, but we didn't get home until after 9 p.m.
Sunday our seats were in the 1/4 mile club, which is a premiere area, right up off the starting line. Throughout the weekend there had been two Pro Stock Cars flip over, but yesterday one of the Top Fuel Cars for Don Schumacher Racing, lost a tire, causing the race car to tip over and try to climb the barrier wall. The tire and some debris flew up and bounced and continued on down on our side of the track into some spectators on the sidelines. A lady on the sidelines down the way was struck with the tire airlifted from the scene and pronounced dead at the hospital. Today I'm totally exhausted and very sad for everyone involved yesterday. There will be lots of investigation into the race car and cause for the accident. The driver, Antron Brown, walked away, but was taken to the hospital also. With so much debris, flames and bending metal, it's amazing that he walked.They were supposed to finish the Pros today, it rained off and on all day today too. We didn't go back up there. That's it for me for a while. I'm gonna stay home and watch curling on TV. Tonight I feel like I could sleep for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment