Friday, June 25, 2010

Dreams N Drivin'

Any Native American that believes in their heritage and faith will tell you that truth lies within the dream. This fact was brought to me Friday....twice! Thursday night I had a dream that I was driving on an Interstate highway and a deer ran in front of my car and I had to screech the breaks to miss him...which I did. We left the park about 9:30 Friday morning and headed east on Interstate 90 towards Gillette. I don't think we had gone 20 miles and I caught a deer with my periphial vision and....yep...sure enough, across the highway she came. First across the west bound lane, through the median and without the slightest hesitation, ran right across in front of our car! Fortunately, I had enough warning, and the instinct from the dream to start slowing as to not have to screech the brakes! I did however came to almost a complete stop to miss her. The whole time, this deer was looking at me like I was nuts!!!!!
Gillette is a bustling place! A coal mining town and the area is heavy with Natural Gas wells. After completing our shopping and lunch we took State Route 14/16 north out of town, up past a huge mining operation.
I stopped along the highway to watch the HUGE dump trucks working hauling dirt from the huge pit.
The truck crossing under the highway honked at us as we watched.
The route that we took was quite a long way home, and very relaxing. As we made our way up the valley, the clear creek winds back and forth, the highway crosses it several times. It's running bank full. Everything is so green right now. There was very little traffic, but a few miles up the road, another deer came up out of the ditch and crossed the highway in front of me from right to left. What's up with that? 2:20 in the afternoon! As I sit here now, seven full grown turkeys marched in to the yard and paid us a visit, grazing along, before retreating back to their to their roosts. Just another day on the range.

No comments:

Post a Comment