Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Philipsburg Montana

We have made our way 3/4 of the way across Montana. Today we stopped at the Riverside Campground by Deer Lodge. After traveling through the mountain passes, really just big hills that were no big deal, we got set up and unhooked the car for another side trip. We took Highway 1, the Pintler Scenic Highway south of Drummond and into Philipsburg.
I did a no no and forgot my camera, so took these with my phone. We had it on good recommendation that there was a Home Made Candy Store that was a "must see" so we stopped, and "How Sweet it Was!" It was really hard, but finally left with a lighter wallet and a couple of sacks. Tonight I discovered that another sweet activity close to Philipsburg is searching for sapphires at Gem Mountain. I've seen that on Travel Channel and really thought I'd like to try it, but unfortunately, we will run out of time on this trip. Got to stop and look at a good waterfall coming right out of a rock wall, and the slabs of rock on the other side of the highway were bolted down so as not to slide into the road!
This area isa rich mining area with a 1700 foot deep Copper mine and a huge coal mine not far from here. The gentleman that runs this park said they recently shut the Copper mine down because you can import copper cheaper than mining it.
Struck out on wildlife again, except for one deer that scrambled across the highway in front of me, close enough that I could see her hooves skiddin and it tested my reflex speeds and braking ability. I lucked out and the deer lived. We'll set out in the morning and tour the Deer Lodge area, a couple of museums and a ranch, then on up across a pass to Helena. At least I have good intentions and a plan. If we don't get to everything, it's an excuse for another trip. I talked to our friend Bunky today and he's already in Kalispell, anxious for us to get there. We will meet up with him on Friday. Not that much farther to go to get up there and it just gets prettier and prettier! I better get some sleep so I can focus tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment