Friday, March 27, 2009

Blowin' in the Wind!

Today was quite a day! We got up this morning to the forcast of possible 60 mile an hour wind gusts later today and we had been invited to some friends house for dinner tonight about 5:00. In Phoenix! That's about 65 miles north. I put all the awnings in last night because I didn't want to be doin that in the middle of the night in my nightgown. If ya have enough of a warning, it's better to put them in then get them ripped up. At the thought of 60 mph winds, we also decided to pull the slides in while we were gone, to save the slide toppers. Off we went and got about 20 miles up the road and traffic came to a complete halt! Come to find out, a trailer had totally burned down to the steel frame on the side of the road. We finally got to our first destination, Famous Dave's BBQ. We had a tasty lunch. I've been hungry for Daves. The brisket almost melts in your mouth. It just falls apart it's so tender. I also bought 4 bottles of sauce, since I haven't found it in any stores, like I can in Nebraska. After lunch we drove farther into Chandler and went to Whole Foods to get some specialty items that we have found there. I like that store. It has a ton of Organic Good for you food! We managed to fritter away most of the afternoon doing pretty much nothing...and made it up to the North End of Phoenix by 4:30! To miss out on the bulk of Rush Hour, that was pretty good timing and our friends had just got home from golfing, so it was Perfect. They have a really nice place, complete with a small, pleasant back yard and orange trees. They were nice enough to send us home with a big bag of very Sweet Oranges. I had one when we got home, and BOY....they are really good! One thing is for certain, when we leave here I will really miss the citrus...and the good friends. I will not miss the wind and blowing dirt! While we were there, they fed us a wonderful supper, of Lasagna Roll ups, Salad and French Bread. We had a little wine, Berringer White Zinfanel...my favorite! DH didn't partake. He's still on the muscle relaxers and I didn't want him loose as a rubber band or have to pour him back in the car! We had a nice visit and a dessert of strawberry Ice Cream and home made cookies. We shared some of our Adventure Stories with them and decided to head back south about 7:30. We had a very smooth trip home. Lots smoother than the way up! Really light traffic, and I was suprised. With March Madness and the Arizona basketball games goin on at the Stadium not far from there, we waited until the game started to leave. The blowing dust on I 10 wasn't even too bad. We got here and the wind had changed directions! It's coming right straight out of the north and hitting us square sideways! We put the slides back out, it's easier to get in bed that way! Hope we don't tip over! I feel like crawling in bed and pulling the covers over my head. I'll definitely have to turn the TV up tonight to drown out the howling! Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment