Friday, March 13, 2009

Tombstone and the "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral"



Yet another day of getting up at the crack of dawn and driving about 150 miles to Tombstone Arizona for the day on Wednesday. This town is brimming with the real history of the old west, however, it is very very commercialized and nothing but a tourist trap! My husband loved every minute and I was very appreciative of the historical value and the thought that we walked where the Earp brothers and Geronimo lived and made the town famous. There's plenty to see and do to fill a whole day and more. I'm sure we just barely scratched the surface, but by sundown, DH was satisfied to make the trek back North to the present day world and move on. We took a narrated trolley ride around town, sat in a Historama show explaining the beginning of the town and the progression through the infamous gunfight. We shopped the various shops and looked in the saloons, had a lunch of buffalo burgers in the O.K. Cafe. I did talk him into getting a recommended book of the actual events and happenings backed up with documentation. It looks like a really easy to read adaptation and I may even read it! We bought the tickets to the recreation of the gunfight and toured the O.K. Corral Museum. The final deed was a stagecoach ride through the streets and another narrative. One thing that I did while there...I have been looking at Native American Flutes for quite some time and I invested in my first Flute! I didn't get the most expensive....you can wrap up hundreds of dollars in them, some inlaid with turquoise and beads. I started out simple, but it is in the key of "C" and has a very nice sound. I said I wanted to learn to play, and I have since started to play it. It's nothing concert worthy, but everybody needs a hobby and I will attempt this. It's fun....so far. DH got a shirt that is from the Tombstone Social Club. Another thing that the town was famous for was the bordellos and working girls. While in Tucson we stopped for supper at Chipotle. It's a burrito shop....my favorite! Had Steak and Black Bean Burritos, which I had leftovers for lunch yesterday. I just heard someone say it's Friday the 13th! I could've gone all day without hearing that! I'm not that superstitious though, so will move on through the day as usual. We are taking a trip to Cabelas in Glendale when DH gets back from the driving range. Our friends from Wyoming are leaving on Sunday early so they had to go out for one last trip to the course. I am washing jeans in my washer/dryer and will have to get some lunch ready so we can hit the trail. I don't want to be going up there during rush hour, nor will I come home during rush hour. The traffic here is crazy! We must fit right in!!! The weather holds out in the 70s every day. No rain. It is supposed to be a beautiful weekend and then rise on up to 80s next week. St. Patricks Day is next tuesday and there's a dinner and dance that night. Lots of folks are leaving so don't know how much fun it will be. Our musician from Nebraska - Bunky - the one man band is still here. He plays a lot of country - easy to listen to. Was in the Clubhouse this morning, and there's lots more festivals and brochures of places to visit. Don't know how many more we will get to this year. There's a Stagecoach Stop in the Superstition mountains that I want to visit, but there's snow in them there hills! Also at the Grand Canyon, so that may have to wait until later. This weekend I will focus on finding a place in California for us after we leave Las Vegas. I will load some more pics into the Arizona '09 picasa album. Some are a real hoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment