Sunday, September 27, 2009

Company Comes and Company Goes

And a good time was had by all!SIL and I went shopping yesterday and looked at all the crafts that we could in six hours! I made a few last purchases that I had saved back for the trip to the mall when she was here. We had tickets to Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede and they told us to be there by 4:00 p.m. so it was a short day of shopping.
At the beginning you walk along the stables and look at all the horses that will be in the show later. This is more of an experience and adventure than just another show with livestock!
They start you out in an auditorium with an entertainer and comedian while you have a drink up in an arena!
Don't let the picture fool ya. It's not like it used to be, they don't serve alcoholic beverages there! They then announce seating and they take you into the main arena, where you are seated around in tiers and rows with a tray in front of you for a table. Kinda like a trough! Did I mention that they don't give you any silverware? Well they don't! It's a four course meal, drinks first, then soup in a bowl with a handle and a biscuit. Then a whole Rotisserie Chicken, a piece of BBQ Pork Tenderloin. Half a baked potato, piece of corn on the cob and apple turnover for dessert! Coffee after that. WOW....we took a lot home and I just finished deboning the rest of the chickens and with that I'm making soup today. The show was pretty amazing.
No pictures allowed from the arena during the show, so y'all need to go and experience it. There's a true story behind the Dixie Stampede and if you double click the placque you should be able to read about it.



As usual, Dolly came up on a screen in the end and they did a tribute to military and the United States. Very impressive all in all and an interactive fun show. Beautiful costumes and the horses were awesome. It was over by 7 p.m. and we took a rest until 9 then went to the Moon River Grill and watched Cody and Barbara sing for a while. While we were there Bill Medley of Rightous Brother's,(he co-wrote the Dirty Dancing song "The time of my life") and Paul Revere, of Paul Revere and the Raiders (all decked out in finery and feathered hat) came in after their show was over, and they were having fun with the patrons. Brings back fond memories of the past for me. They were still there when we left. As luck would have it I left my camera at home and I was too chicken to go ask for a picture with my cell phone. At 69 and 71 years old, they were havin a ball with a table full of 6 young women! They don't take very good pics in a darker room anyway. I just had a feeling last night that we would see somebody famous before we left. While we were there I looked out the window and a possum walked right up the sidewalk to the front door! Made me remember how far down in the hills we really are! Glad it wasn't a skunk. The atmosphere was lots more formal, mellow, upper class piano bar and bistro. DH likes their Cherry Cobbler. Not nearly as fun as the night before downtown on the patio of Chesterfields. Today we got up late and had brunch at Cracker Barrel (SIL's favorite restaurant because of Blueberry Pancakes) I like them too! Took us 20 minutes today to get across town to the main highway, we led her back out of town. Now I am washing linen and getting ready to watch my Sunday night premiere shows on TV. After the busy weekend I need a rest. It was very fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment