Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Not Getting Very Far


We have only made it 175 miles in two days! This is the view that we woke up to this morning, after a very comfortable night. We are boondocking again tonight. This time in a T/A Truck Stop. We had a very good day in Goodland while we waited for our work to be done. They said the new tires and work on the coach would take a couple of hours, but we went in this morning at 8 and left about 3:45 this afternoon. We got down the road 30 miles and the pressure pro alarm told us that we had a low tire on the Suburban! That little gadget saved us from a disaster today and more than paid for itself. One thing I think every RVer needs if they tow a vehicle. We were turning south at Oakley so we pulled in here at the T/A and had the tire fixed and called it a night. While we were waiting today, we did a lot of exploring. We went to the cemetary and walked and drove around before it got muddy. It was a nice enough morning, we took our time and looked at some of the beautiful headstones that people have. Even my cousin's are very detailed and beautiful. Stopped at the post office and mailed a package to my son. I had some hunting pictures framed and matted for a keepsake for him from this year's hunting visit. Had lunch at Gambino's Pizza Place. Comparable to Valentino's in NE. DH visited a Gun Shop and I took in a Meat Shop that had their ad on the radio when we were coming into town. They were selling Buffalo Chili, so I got that and we had it for supper. Their beef looked really good, so I got some, as we don't get the good ole beef we're used to down there. As we drove around I spotted this huge painting on a huge easel, so decided to stop and get the particulars of this display. Very interesting! This is the Goodland Rotary International Centennial Project. They celebrated their Centennial in 2005. DH was a Rotary Member for years, and he participated in our Centennial Project for our town. It was flowers and benches to improve a little plot of ground on our Main Street in the Business District. This Large VanGogh Reproduction is visable from I 70 on the south. They developed a series of walkways around this huge 80 ft. easel. A Reproduction Artist from Canada, Cameron Cross, painted this 24X32 foot painting, one of only seven in the world. All of the pathways were created in 2002. The bricks were from the streets of Goodland and were manufactured and laid in the '20s, which makes them over 80 years old. DH signed the visitor's registry and it was a nice morning to discover something different! McB's Motors is right across the street from a Museum and I ran out of time before I got to explore there.
I would like to see the story on America's First Helicopter! Maybe next visit. I know there will be one. This town belongs in my Family History. I have many fond childhood memories of time spent there at my favorite Uncle's and now most all of them are gone or at the Cemetary! Again tonight, we're safe and warm. I hope we get a long ways tomorrow. I'm ready to be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment