Sunday, January 10, 2010

Out of the Deep Freeze!


When we left Oxford yesterday morning, it was -18 degrees. We about froze just loading the car. As we gradually made our way west, the temp. rose about 20 degrees in the first 100 miles. We arrived in Co. Springs about 3:00 and it was 45 degrees!The first sight of Pikes Peak in the distance when I top the hill outside of Limon always makes me smile. Not nearly as much snow out here. The second thing that made me smile, was running the vehicles through the car wash! Everyone in Falcon had the same idea, but at least now I can see what color they are. My little 'Roo got put away for this season, and I always like to put her away clean. The coach was sitting outside the storage building smiling at us and purring like a kitten. The Aqua Hot Hydronic Heating System fired right up and has kept us toasty warm, even at 21 degrees last night. We are at the KOA in Fountain Colorado,our usual spot when we pass through here or visit the kids. There's quite a few coaches and
5vers here that are permanent this winter. I can't imagine staying here for the whole winter and try to have unfrozen water! We aren't filling our fresh tank until we get a whole lot farther south, we used RV Antifreeze in the Black and grey to save the traps. I'm not used to the noises of being in a different place yet. Not far off Interstate 25, you hear the traffic a little, but the big thing last night was the M1A1 Tanks having practice drills and firing the big guns not far from here and shakin the coach! I had gone to bed and when the ground shook it brought me right back up! Haven't heard that or felt that in a long time! I could've sworn we were having a 5.0 earthquake!lol There's some big time cleaning to do inside and out when we arrive in the desert. We ran around today in light jackets and the DS took us to a new BBQ place for lunch. "Bird Dog BBQ." Was as good as Famous Daves. We got to tour his Feed store, which is located at a horse barn on an acreage. There's an indoor riding arena and lots of folks were there this afternoon riding and roping at the outdoor arena. They also Board horses, so he keeps mighty busy. Seems to like his business and enjoys the horses. (Sorry, no pictures this time, but I'll get some one of these trips) He has been wanting to work in Farm and Ranch Management since he was a member of the Mounted Color Guard at Fort Carson, and is doing quite well. We'll hope that continues, this area by the Black Forest has lots of horses and livestock owners. His store is located at an established Barn owned by a relative of his first Tank Commander in Iraq. They are still really good friends.

It took me quite a while to unpack all the stuff I brought back to the coach. I gathered up a bunch of stuff and made a delivery to Good Will this morning. So did my good deed for the day and lightened our load a bit. We took a turn through WalMart this afternoon and picked up a few things to get us down the road. Another chapter tomorrow. Betsy gets new shoes!(tires) Stay tuned! I'm lots happier warm :)

No comments:

Post a Comment