Friday, July 17, 2009

Winnebago & Forest City for the Weekend


Yesterday I spent a great deal of time outside. Washed and polished on the outside of the coach, walked around with the dog and got some pictures of the area. DH walked their golf course and played 9 holes. I went to the RV Supply place in the next town and replaced my shower head. Somehow that isn't close to having fun at a golf course. LOL. Was a pretty low key day and went to bed pretty early so......I could get up at the butt crack of dawn (6a.m.) and get things stowed and ready to go. Left at 8 to go bid the Amish Community good bye with a visit to one of the bakeries. OMG!!!!! That's good stuff. DH said it's the best Cherry Turnover he's ever ate! I don't feel bad, I haven't ever made 'em! We said our good byes to our hosts at that Resort and headed down the road for Forest City. A little over two hours of travel and we arrived, but not before taking a wrong turn and touring the downtown streets of Forest City. THAT wasn't fun!I'm sure we're not the only ones who have done that - and they are having their annual Winnebago Rally next week so there's LOTS of coaches and people around. This little park is out in the country 4 miles and it is really nice and peaceful here. Now I feel like we're sitting out in a field! Because we are!!!!
On the way here I spotted a barn quilt along the road and got a picture. We made it to the Winnebago Plant for the last tour of the week with just a couple of minutes to spare. It was interesting to see all different classes of RVs being built, and the fact that they have had staff cuts and line cutbacks tells me the difficulties with our economy reach here too, but if there wasn't work at that plant here the likes of this town would be ghostly I'm sure. They didn't allow pictures either, but thier museum was interesting. Tomorrow the day will start at the American Legion on the Courthouse Square with a Pancake feed and then we will visit lots of the craft booths and go to a car show in the afternoon. Kinda keeping the schedule open and just going with the flow. The place where Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper died in the plane crash is not far from here and we may go see that tomorrow as well. Our next stop in Arnolds Park has a Rock n Roll Museum that I'm looking forward to seeing. It was 56 when I got up this morning and they say it'll be in the 40s tonight. I've had a jacket on all day. Don't know what happened to summer but not really complaining much. Better than 90 degrees and 90% humidity! My connection out here isn't good.....if I'm not back with a post...and I may not get my pictures loaded until next week, thanks for understanding!

No comments:

Post a Comment